Serene is proud to offer a range of products to ensure your rental property is compliant with the Healthy Homes heating standard. To calculate the required heating output for your rental property, use the Tenancy Services calculator.
Information on the Healthy Homes Standard
The New Zealand Healthy Homes Guarantees Act 2017 mandates for increased standards of heating and dryness in residential tenancies. The new standard mandates that living rooms in rental properties must have fixed heating devices capable of achieving a minimum of 18 degrees Celsius.
Compliance time frames
- 1 July 2021 – Private landlords must ensure that their rental properties are compliant with healthy homes standards within 90 days of any new tenancy.
- 1 July 2021 – All boarding houses must be compliant with healthy home standards.
- 1 July 2024 – All rental properties must be compliant with healthy homes standards.
Top up existing heating
if you are adding new heating to a room with existing heating, each heater must meet the standards outlined in the standard unless you meet all of the following conditions for top up heating:
- The existing heating was installed prior to 1 July 2019.
- The required heating capacity for the room exceeds 2.4kW.
- The ‘top up’ you need for the room to meet the standard is 1.5kW or less.
Exemptions to the Healthy Homes heating standard are available on the Tenancy Services website.